11.04.2009

Longing for Guidance

Today's Photo: "Skies of Blue"

I came across a hymn today that I have never noticed before. The name of the hymn is: "Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me." The words were written by Edward Hopper (1818-1888). Here's the first verse:

Jesus, Savior, pilot me over life's tempestuous sea;

unknown waves before me roll, hiding rock and treach'rous shoal;

chart and compass come from thee. Jesus, Savior, pilot me.


The imagery is really speaking to me today. "Unknown waves before me roll" - isn't that the truth? There is so much about life (well, basically all of life) that we just do not get to know ahead of time. There are surprises around every corner - sometimes moments of heartbreak and sometimes moments of pure elation.

I don't really ask Jesus to pilot my life's ship very often. I'm not sure why. I think I'd like to work on that. I don't often trust Jesus to "take the wheel" as Carrie Underwood says in her semi-cheesy, but curiously accurate country song.

But I am sure being convicted day after day that I really don't have a chart or compass that works very well when it comes to predicting the future. None of us do. We are all on this mysterious journey together unsure what lies ahead. I don't know about you, but I am longing for some guidance and direction. So today my refrain is this: "Jesus, Savior, pilot me." Thanks hymn writer Edward Hopper - for giving language to a feeling I didn't yet have the words for.

No comments:

Post a Comment