11.23.2009

Thank you, New Dental Hygienist.

Today's Photo: "A Handsome Wannabe"

Funerals are unique: simultaneously terrible and wonderful; awful and awe-inspiring. We had a funeral at church today. My favorite aspect of funerals is that they are an amazing opportunity to proclaim God's love and goodness and mercy. They are a great environment for talking about the hope of the resurrection. My least favorite aspect of funerals is that death is really odd and generally doesn't make a lot of sense.

In the midst of all of today's activities, I had a dentist appointment. Previous to today, I'd had the same dentist for the last 21 years. Now I have a new dentist. I feel a little sad about the fact that Dr. Al isn't my dentist anymore (okay, actually - more than a "little" sad). But, the good news is - I LOVE MY NEW DENTIST! And especially my new hygienist!

We chatted while she scraped the plaque off of my teeth. And she asked me real questions! And whether or not she actually did care about my answers - she seemed like she cared! I thought to myself, "How interesting. Throughout most days, I am usually the one who gets to ask other people the questions." We had a great conversation and laughed a lot. I believe it was one of my favorite dentist appointments of all time!

The only downside of the appointment: Even though I wear my mouth-guard every night, I am still sanding my teeth down severely my teeth grinding. Sadly, there's really no solution. He said, "Just keep wearing your mouth-guard. Without it, you'd be breaking your teeth apart." And he was serious!!! Can you imagine that? Yikes! He did say that grinding isn't only caused by stress. He think it's possibly hereditary, too. Nevertheless, I'm going to try to do a little more pre-bedtime relaxing. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

3 comments:

  1. I love that photo! It makes me feel slightly more charitable toward those darn beetles, who can't get enough of my alb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe does the same thing: bruxism they call it I believe. He's been told to cut down on caffeine and gum chewing along with stress. I can hear him grind through the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe does the same thing: bruxism they call it I believe. He's been told to cut down on caffeine and gum chewing along with stress. I can hear him grind through the plate.

    ReplyDelete