1.12.2010







Steve Sosna/Minnesota/KAAL weatherman

Today's interesting person is Steve Sosna. He's the morning weather man on KAAL. Channel 6 is the local ABC affiliate for the Austin/Rochester, Minnesota area. Thanks for a great interview, Steve!

1. Where do you feel most comfortable?
The beach. Hear me out here... I grew up near the ocean vividly remember the serenity of the surroundings (sand, ocean, seagulls, the salty/earthy smells)... I visited during the fall and winter months, when there was nobody around, and I remember taking long walks looking at the foaming surf, the blowing sand, and the ominous clouds. Witnessing this would cleanse my head of all worries and fears of the past and future.. it allowed me to be truly "present". For some reason, the ocean brings me a sense of tranquility. The ocean makes everything else in life seems so miniscule when you have these powerful and changing surroundings.

2. Describe your average day in one word.
Energetic!

3. Who are the people who most inspire you?
People that have endured a huge life obstacle, but yet make a postive out of it. I'm always amazed at people diagnosed with a terminal disease or who lose a close relative to an illness/disaster, but yet perservere on and turn the loss into a gain. This is how we've made so much progression in the human race. The obstacles that caus us some of the greatest suffering also inspire some of the greatest human movements. Life is going to deal you bad cards, but it's what kind of hand you make out of it. I really appreciate those people that have been dealt a bad hand, but still win the game.

4. What do you love about your work?
I know this sounds very cliche, but I honestly don't feel like this is a "job". It's passion. I've "worked" before... Cashier, nursing home dish washer, heck I even cleaned up doggy poo in my teens (not my most glamerous moment). This current job is what I've always dreamed of doing. WEATHER! I love it all, snowstorms, thunderstorms, hurricanes, tornadoes, cold, etc... Mother nature provides us with some of the most beautiful works of art, and it's all free of charge. I never dread going to work in the morning!

5. What is your most beloved hobby?
Running. I love the high and the endorphin rush from a good run. It clears the mind, the soul, and also helps me fit into my suits in the morning :) You don't even want to know how many calories I consume each day!

6. What are you reading?
"Say You're One of Them" by Uwem Akpan

7. What is the best advice you've ever received?
"Life is what you make of it." I've heard this from several people, and from what I've experienced so far, it's true... You create the enviornment around you, and I feel that certain people just have a "good energy". I feel that each one of us can have this good energy and pass it on to each other. I try to surround myself with these kinds of people.

8. What movie or television show do you think everyone should be required to watch?
"What Not to Wear" on TLC.


For more on this friendly weather guy who's surprisingly accurate about his weather predictions and forecasts, check out his page on KAAL's site!

No comments:

Post a Comment