8.15.2010

Mary's Song

This morning at church we celebrated Mary.
I wish I could've known her.
I wish we could've sat down for a cup of tea.

The gospel text for today was Luke 1: 46-55. It's often known as "Mary's Song."

Verses 52 and 53 are really quite radical when you think about them.

"God has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly; God has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty. "

Even before Jesus came into the picture, Mary had a deep understanding of a God who advocated justice, equal distribution of resources, and compassion for all.

I wonder if Mary had good gal pals. I wonder what she loved to cook. I wonder what kind of husband Joseph was to her. I wonder what her favorites books and verses of the Old Testament were. Quite a lady, that Mary. Quite a lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment