12.17.2010

Living and Learning at the ITC


Berry Snow

Hello.
I'm typing to you from my home away from home again (the blessed ITC - Infusion Therapy Center).

I'm feeling SO encouraged today! Thank you for the emails, texts, and calls this week.

Everything is going well with the IVIG infusion today. I'm an old pro around here now.
And, of course, I'm taking full advantage of the "free snacks" and "free wireless Internet" again today.

As another bonus, the nurses and hospital staff are starting to ask me religious questions and sharing about their lives. So how about that? Ministry at the ITC. It really does help; I'm much less inclined toward internal emotional distress when I am listening to others.


Reverb 10 Prompt - December 16 – Friendship: How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst? (Author: Martha Mihalick)

This year I made three great friends who have since passed away - Marguerite, Glenn, and Patricia. Marguerite taught me to slow down. Glenn taught me to laugh and to love. Patricia taught me that everyone has unknown talents and abilities (she was an amazing & totally humble painter). The changes that they brought about in me were gradual but permanent.



Reverb 10 Prompt - December 17 -Lesson Learned: What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward? (Author: Tara Weaver)

Great prompt! How funny - just last night I rediscovered a song I downloaded several years ago - "Lesson Learned" by Alicia Keyes & John Mayer!

This year, I learned the following lesson about myself: My best self is both strong and vulnerable. Some people have a very strong sense of self; they know who they are and what they stand for. I admire these people. I am definitely still in the identity formation stage. In all actuality - aren't we all in the identity formation stage?

Sometimes I feel like I don't have a clue who I am or what I stand for. But I'm learning.

The past year has taught me that I strive in environments where I can be both strong and vulnerable. I've learned that it's okay to be both. It's healthy to be both.

I've also learned that there are few things I love more than listening to life stories. I love it, love it, love it. And whenever I'm feeling a little low (or a lot low), the best cure is to go to the Care Center or to the hospital or to a home visit - and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment