1.20.2011

Growing Slowly and Standing Still

Growing Slowly

It has been a week of slowly growing on the inside.
And for that, I am thankful.
I'm growing wheat grass inside my house. I love to watch it inch taller each day.
Watching the wheat grass progress reminds me that we are all on a journey of growth,
stretching upward but also growing deep roots - all at the same time.

I like this Chinese proverb quite a lot.
"Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still."
Sometimes, I long for life to stand still. And it's a dangerous business. It gets me stuck.
Not only do I sometimes long for time to stand still, I also find myself longing to go back,
to have "do overs" for past mistakes, to unhurt people I've hurt,
to make different choices, to try different paths.

But there is no standing still. And there is no going back.

There's just growth.

Growth on the outside and growth on the inside.

Today I am going to forgive myself for the past.
I am going to acknowledge the paths I didn't take.
I'm going to forgive myself for planting the garden in the field that may have poisoned me.
I'm going to rejoice in the life that I have RIGHT NOW not the life I HAD or WILL HAVE.
And I am going to move ahead.
I hope you'll join me.

Growth. Slow and steady....growth.

2 comments:

  1. I just love you lady pastor. Hang in there. Know that your Marion family prays for you daily and loves you. I appreciate you blog because it brings me peace.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love you lady pastor. Hang in there. Know that your Marion family prays for you daily and loves you. I appreciate you blog because it brings me peace.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete