8.24.2013

Life with Laura


This summer I've been reading the books of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I've really enjoyed the journey so far. I'm now on book #3. I've read "Little House in the Big Woods" and "Farmer Boy." They are written for children, but they're actually delightful to read as an adult.

Guess what I learned on Friday? 

Laura Ingalls Wilder didn't start writing the series until she was 65. 

Awesome. That means we can all keep learning and growing and trying new things our whole lives, right? Jackpot!


My mom and I headed on a Wisconsin adventure on Friday.  We visited Pepin, Wisconsin first. It's the birthplace of Laura Ingalls Wilder and home of the LIW museum.

The rest of the day was filled with my two favorite things: laughter and learning. I know it sounds cheesy. But it's true. I love laughing and I love learning. And whenever I'm hanging out with my momma, it's basically a guarantee that we're doing plenty of both.

Could summertime last forever? 



Yes, I did bring my book along.
And yes, I did read aloud from it as we made our way into Pepin.

"Dear Diary..."

A photo of Laura's teacher

"Say cheese"

Whoa-zers! So many more museums to visit!

Next step: the cabin in the woods! About 6 miles outside of town stands a replica of the real cabin that Laura lived in when she was a child. 

As you can see, I was very surprised that you could actually go right in!



Next it was time to head up the road to Stockholm....

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I love the Portlandia sketch: "Put a bird on it."  Have you seen it?
 It's all about how much cuter things are once they are covered in birds!

Guess what? Even back in 1921 it was cool to put a bird on it!
Check out this wall paper sample...

Untitled

Untitled
Amazing!  Put a bird on it!

Untitled
So many scenic, windy spots along the Mississippi.  Lovely day.

After a few more stops, we made our way to Crossings in Zumbrota for live music.
Untitled

Untitled

Such a great day! What are your favorite spots along the Mississippi?

No comments:

Post a Comment