11.21.2013

Poetry Corner


I wrote a different post for today. And then I wrote another one after that. They were honest and long and reflective. About the realities of ministry and time and building a healthy life. Expectations and disappointments. Honesty and peace.

But I couldn't bring myself to hit "publish."

I guess I need to re-read Brene Brown's "Daring Greatly." It's a book about vulnerability. And shame. And what it means to be truly brave. I relish the feeling of transparency. To be seen and heard are the greatest of gifts. But it's hard sometimes.

It has been an extra intense week - a wedding, some funerals, confirmation, and a million other things. All really meaningful experiences and encounters. I'm probably just extra reflective.

I just opened my new Mary Oliver poetry book from the library. I was praying for some kind of poem that would help me be brave and strong and hopeful. I opened to one called "Reckless Poem."

Here are a few lines:

Just yesterday I watched an ant crossing a path, through the tumbled pine needs she toiled.
And I thought: she will never live another life but this one.
And I thought: if she lives her life with all her strength is she not wonderful and wise.
And I continued up this miraculous pyramid of everything until I came to myself.


Mary's poetry can be interpreted in so many ways.

Today, it reminds me of a reality I feel I have been pondering my whole existence.

Life is so precious. So, so precious.

I just don't want to waste it.

I want to cherish it. And love it. And savor every drop.



No comments:

Post a Comment