6.10.2014

#actoflove


I often listen to the radio when I'm getting ready in the mornings. Recently, NPR has done some outstanding pieces on immigration & border crossings. 

Have you heard any of the segments? 

This piece reveals the vast complexities surrounding immigration issues. There has been a huge increase in unaccompanied minors crossing the U.S./Mexico border. In 2008, there were approximately 8,000. This year, there has been 70,000! 

Here's another piece about the Supreme Court's recent ruling that young people have to start the visa process over after they turn 21. They lose their spot in line. 

I need to educate myself much more fully in immigration and immigration reform.

I just read a story about hundreds of kids currently be held in a warehouse in Arizona. Many of them are from Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras. Just take a peek at the pics. 

I feel for everyone involved. The Department of Health and Human Services says they've run out of places to put all these kids (maybe are 14-16). The government is shipping in additional supplies and bedding. Citizens of the Arizona town, Nogales, are collecting supplies. It's a heart-breaking situation.

We all have a stake in this. We are all called to care - and pray for these kids. We have no idea what they have faced and will face. Much more than I'm sure most of us can imagine. Gangs, violence, poverty. A person doesn't risk their life to cross an extremely treacherous border unless they're desperate...and hopeful. Hopeful that life can be another way. 

I was born in the United States, so I'm 100% sure I have no idea what it's like to be born in another country - especially a country plagued by violence. 

Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) is inviting all congregations to honor Refugee Sunday on June 22. They've created all kinds of supplies and resources. I encourage you to find a way to incorporate Refugee Sunday in your context. If you tell you're pastor about, I imagine he/she would definitely be willing to incorporate a prayer. 

LIRS is also sponsoring something called #actoflove. 

I encourage you to learn more about it here

And a few Bible references for good measure: 

“When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself" - Leviticus 19:33-34

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me," - Matthew 25:35


“Thus says the Lord of hosts, Render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another, do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor, and let none of you devise evil against another in your heart.” - Zechariah 7:9-10


No comments:

Post a Comment