7.01.2014

Superfood Supercrunch


The low histamine plan is working! And I am falling more in love with meditation every day. Why on earth have I not been doing this regularly for the last 31 years?!

My platelet count held steady over the weekend. Yahoo. And I'm feeling great. Really, really great.

I created a new recipe that I think you might enjoy. It is low in histamine producers and high in nutrients. Wheat-free, dairy-free. It's like granola but crunchier. Tasty soaked in coconut milk. Would also be good in your overnight oats or with yogurt.

Ingredients:

1-2 cups old fashioned oats
1-2 cups sprouted quinoa
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1 tablespoon hemp seeds
1 tablespoon dried coconut
1.5 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon pomegranate juice
1 tablespoon cheery juice
1-2 tablespoons honey
dried fruits of choice (apricots, figs, cherries, raisins...totally up to you!)

First up, you have to sprout your quinoa. Yes, that's right. Sprout time. Sprout your quinoa. It's fun. Just do it. Here's how. I used organic quinoa from Costco, my new favorite place on earth. I think most brands will work. You soak it for 30 minutes. And then put it in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse it every 8 hours. After a day, you have lil' baby sprouts. CUTE! Don't let them get too long. They just need tiny tails for this recipe.



You may be wondering, "Why did you sprout the quinoa?" Fair enough. Good question. 

I sprouted them because I heard it boosts their nutritional value and makes them easier to digest. I also read that sprouts often contain DAO, the enzyme that helps break down histamines. 

Bonus fun: I love growing things! It feels like a super power.

Now that you've got your quinoa all sprouted, set them aside. Spread them out on a paper towel so they dry out just a bit. 

Mix together the coconut oil, pomegranate juice, cherry juice, and honey. These are your wet ingredients. If you wanted, you could add things like butter and sugar at this point. But no need. 

In a big ol' mixing bowl, add together the oats, sprouted quinoa, hemp, chia, coconut, and wet mixture. Then spread it out on a baking sheet and cook for 30-45 minutes at 325 degrees. Move it around every 10-15 minutes. When it's looking toasted, it's done. After you're all wrapped up, add in the dried fruit. You did it! Superfood Supercrunch. 


Warning: THIS IS REALLY CRUNCHY. Mega, mega crunch. I like to let my soak for a bit in coconut milk so it softens just a bit. It is very delicious. Not especially sweet. Just right. Packed with so many great nutrients. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment