5.02.2017

Back to Books

I am generally significantly late to the bandwagon. So humor me. Have you ever read a graphic novel?

THEY ARE SO GREAT!

Where have I been?

I had no idea there were so many "true stories" written in graphic novel form! The Rochester Public Library has a whole big section of comics and graphic novels. I'm looking forward to reading fiction graphic novels, but so far I've only read two non-fiction graphic novels this week (they are quick reads which has been a helpful incentive in getting back into the habit of daily book reading).

"The Best We Could Do" by Thi Hui

"Tetris" by Box Brown

"The Best We Could Do" is a memoir highlighting several generations of Hui's family tree as they transitioned from life in Vietnam to life in the United States. It is so beautiful and poignant. The author captures many universal realities about the forces that shape us all while also inviting readers into her family's unique story of love, resilience, and loss. Loved it! And Orion, my favorite constellation, shows up on two pages! Whoot whoot!

"Tetris" is the true story of the game Tetris! I had no idea it was so complex and litigious! I also had no idea that Nintendo has been around since the late 1800s! The author, Box Brown, highlights the highs and lows of Tetris from the original conception of the game by Alexey Pajitnov in 1984 to the production of the game to the litigation involved in those seeking a cut of the profits. Tetris is a combination of two words: tetra (meaning 4) and tennis! Who knew? Not me!

Alexey from Tetris after he started working for Microsoft in 2005

Orion shining brightly in The Best We Could Do

Orion in The Best We Could Do

Author Thi Hui captures poignant truths about life and war in The Best We Could Do

Hui bravely shares about her relationship with father and how the more she understood his past, the more she understood the way he parented when she was a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment