6.29.2017

Frugal Finds


Black beans. 
So great and inexpensive. 
Full of vitamins and minerals. 

One cup of cooked black beans includes the following percentages of your daily recommended amounts:

64% folate
40% copper
38% manganese
35% vitamin B1
 30% magnesium
 24% phosphorus
 20% iron

Dang, beans. Nice work. Here's more black bean info

While I love all the nutritional value of black beans, I especially love that they are very cheap. Ever since I listened to this audiobook last summer (and then this book), I've been especially obsessed with all things frugal. And beans, my friends, fit nicely into my financial goals.

I recently purchased a 4-pound bag of black beans for $4.25. 

When prepared, those 4-pounds of dried beans amount to about 24 cups of cooked beans. 

CAN YOU EVEN!?

That's so much food for $4.25.

Let me just continue the amazement!

That's 5448 calories of nutrient-dense food (227 cals per cup of cooked beans)!

For only $4.25.

(all the glorious folate!)

I like to eat beans with...rice, corn tortillas, salsa, chips, spices, veggies, hummus (beans on beans), eggs, and plain!

I've been experimenting with different ways to cook dried beans and my favorite is overnight in the slow cooker. I mostly recently tried to cook them on high overnight for 12 hours and they turned out great. That was with a 1-hour pre-soak. Be warned....it's hard to scrub a white crock pot clean after it has been bean-ed. You may want to invest in a separate crockpot from Goodwill exclusively for bean use. 

Do you have any favorite bean recipes? Or favorite beans?  

PS: Canned beans are also a great, frugal deal!




No comments:

Post a Comment